Some of the biggest names in literature got the nod from the Booker judges for this year’s shortlist including J.M. Coetzee, A.S. Byatt, and Hilary Mantel. Co-favorite of the oddsmakers, Sarah Waters, made the cut, while the other favorite, Colm Toibin did not. The longlist was offered here with some excerpts less than a month ago, but since you might not have gotten around to them then, we’ll offer the same with the shortlist below.
- The Children’s Book by A.S. Byatt
- Summertime by J.M Coetzee (excerpt)
- The Quickening Maze by Adam Foulds
- Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (excerpt)
- The Glass Room by Simon Mawer (excerpt pdf)
- The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (excerpt pdf)