We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
The Millions is hiring a new Web Editor. This is an exciting, paid opportunity to play a key role at The Millions involved in the editing, production, and presentation of our longform pieces. You will help shape the work beloved by a readership that boasts a laundry list of influential, brilliant folks in publishing, media, and academia — not to mention the most engaged, avid readers you’ll find anywhere.
Our deadline is end of day, Monday, May 14.
The Millions publishes one to two pieces, five days a week. For each piece, our web editor:
- Does a final copy edit/proofread.
- Writes headlines (if needed) and selects art and pullquotes.
- Formats the piece and inserts links as needed within WordPress.
- Inputs bios for Millions contributors.
The web editor will also:
- Assist with our popular annual features, e.g. Year in Reading, Previews, etc.
- Be a key member of the Millions editorial staff, involved in ideas and strategy.
- A WordPress pro, with experience editing and formatting within WordPress (experience with basic HTML also a plus)
- A copy-editing/proofreading pro, with knowledge of AP Style
- A reader with a solid knowledge of and love for all things books
- Extremely reliable and organized and ready to take on an indispensable role
- The Millions has no dedicated office, so this is a remote position and can be done from anywhere in the world.
- The web editor is paid on a per piece basis resulting in a competitive hourly rate.
- This is a part-time position that we expect will amount to 5-10 hours per week.
Please send the following materials to [email protected] People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Cover Letter
- One or two references who can attest to your WordPress and copy-editing skills.