Curiosities

Pale King Confusion

By posted at 10:12 am on March 31, 2011 7

After our discovery yesterday that The Pale King was already on sale, the New York Times finds lots of angry booksellers, but not much by way of explanation.

The Millions' future depends on your support. Become a member today!

7 Responses to “Pale King Confusion”

1. P.T. Smith
    at 10:19 am on March 31, 2011

OK, this seems to be telling a different story than yesterday’s discussion, when it seemed that bookstores also got the book early and could start selling…

2. C. Max Magee
    at 10:25 am on March 31, 2011

Yes. It appears that there was some miscommunication, with some in the supply chain focusing on the 4/15 date and others not. I know that Amazon’s policy is that unless there is a specific “do not sell until” date specified by the publisher, they will start shipping the book as soon as they have copies to ship.

3. P.T. Smith
    at 10:34 am on March 31, 2011

Yeah, now I’m frustrated and angry on behalf of others. If it just went out early all-around, then I wouldn’t see the deal so much, but with it not going out early all-around and with some, such as City Lights, apparently having been told that the there was a specific “do not sell until” date, there’s reason to be upset.

4. Lee
    at 12:00 pm on March 31, 2011

Interestingly, last I checked the Kindle version was still in pre-order, ready for release 4/15.

5. Pat
    at 12:43 pm on March 31, 2011

While I understand the frustration that independent bookstores must be feeling right now, I do not understand how there is a bookseller in Brooklyn who’s real name is Zack Zook.

6. Pat
    at 12:45 pm on March 31, 2011

*Sorry, that should read “whose real name.” I feel like a real Zook right now.

7. Grant
    at 5:05 pm on March 31, 2011

First, the whole strict on sale/lay down/street date is a pain in the ass. Is it really that hard to ship books to arrive simultaneously? You know…man on the moon and all that. Most booksellers now do not seem to know the difference between strict on sale and pub date, so if you call to find a book you get some really inaccurate information.

I found out that Pale King was available when I checked the St. Mark’s (Bowery, NYC) regular Wednesday New Titles list and saw they had 35 copies on hand. I found my copy yesterday at The New England Mobile Book Fair in Dedham MA. Both are independent bookstores.