The Millions Top 10

The Millions Top Ten

By posted at 9:53 pm on February 1, 2009 12

We’ve added a new feature to The Millions sidebar. We spend plenty of time here on The Millions telling all of you what we’ve been reading, but we are also quite interested in hearing about what you’ve been reading. By looking at our Amazon stats, we can see what books Millions readers have been buying, and we decided it would be fun to use those stats to find out what books have been most popular with our readers in recent months. Below you’ll find our inaugural Millions Top Ten list, and we’ll be updating the list in our sidebar each month.

This
Month
Month
  Title On List
1. cover 2666 1 month
2. cover The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao 1 month
3. cover Infinte Jest 1 month
4. cover The Dud Avocado 1 month
5. cover The White Boy Shuffle 1 month
6. cover A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again 1 month
7. cover The Savage Detectives 1 month
8. cover The Tales of Beedle the Bard 1 month
9. cover The Northern Clemency 1 month
10. cover Netherland 1 month

Let us know if you’ve been reading any of these books. We’d love to hear about it.

The Millions' future depends on your support. Become a member today!

12 Responses to “The Millions Top Ten”

1. NigelBeale
    at 5:13 am on February 2, 2009
  2. Anonymous
    at 6:41 am on February 2, 2009

I'm 400 pp. into 2666.
    Last month I read Oscar Wao and Tree of Smoke.

Kirk, Tx.

3. Words and Guitar
    at 10:42 am on February 2, 2009

I finished 2666 last week. I loved it.

4. Eric
    at 11:09 am on February 2, 2009

I just started reading 2666 yesterday and so far I can't put it down. This is the second book of Bolano's I've read (the first being Amulet). I probably should have read The Savage Detectives first, but I just couldn't wait.

I've read Infinite Jest and A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, but the rest I have not.

5. Vince Montague
    at 2:44 pm on February 2, 2009

I'm reading 2666. On the first book right now and can't put it down. So far so good. I've read most of DFW except Infinite Jest. Prefer his essays, but that's just my taste.

6. cameron
    at 7:37 pm on February 2, 2009

read Netherland (loved it, seriously considering adding it to my syllabus next semester)

read The Savage Detectives (loved the first half, alright in the middle, really liked the end) – liked it so much that I . . .

bought 2666 and it is on "The Stack"

Infinite Jest shows up on "The Stack" sometimes, but usually comes out before I get to it (though sometimes I start it before deciding I don't have time right now).

bought The Dud Avocado on recommendations here

am reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. about half way and would probably enjoy it more if I knew more Spanish (but I can get by). I think it might come off as heavy-handed in its "geek culture" references (for lack of a better term), but at least I haven't found more than one that I don't get immediately. if I didn't have the Spanish AND I had never spent much time with comics and hanging out in comic book shops I think I would be very lost.

7. Kim
    at 8:22 pm on February 2, 2009

I read Oscar Wao last year, and I loved it. I am not a comic book reader and have never read Lord or the Rings, but I still loved the book. As soon as I finished it, I ran out and bought Diaz's book of short stories Drown and enjoyed it very much too. I think Oscar Wao is a classic in the making.

8. Anonymous
    at 9:50 am on February 7, 2009

I'm about 200 pages into 2666, and the book led me on a side trip, as they always do, to the book by journalist Teresa Rodriguez, "The Daughters of Juarez" A true story of serial murder south of the border."

9. nirinia
    at 9:37 am on February 8, 2009

I'm reading 2666 now, savouring it slowly. It is my first venture into Bolano, it has been very interesting this far. The Savage Detectives is buried somewhere beneath the mountain of coursework.

10. Anonymous
    at 9:34 am on February 19, 2009

I have had Savage Detectives and haven't gotten around to reading it but judging from all the comments here maybe I need to pick it up next. Infinite Jest is the only thing on this list I've read and the more I let it marinate the highter it moves up on my list of favorite books…

11. gilbertmaker
    at 8:44 am on February 20, 2009

Just finished Netherland Great read. Tried infinite Jest but just could not get into it.

12. Anonymous
    at 5:10 pm on April 28, 2009

Read Bolano's 2666, DFW's Supposedly Fun Thing, and O'Neill's Netherland. Netherland was a bit of a disappointment after all the hype, while 2666 was simply amazing even with the hype. It's been a few months since I read 2666, and I still find anything I've read since lackluster and uninteresting. I remember enjoying a number of the essays in this collection by DFW, but I read it so long time ago that my memory can't be trusted. I, too, prefer his essays to his fiction.